Sunday, May 17, 2015

My Grandfather: The Reason I Became A Writer

When I was little, I would sit on my Grandfather's knee and listen to him tell stories that he would make up on a whim and giggle at them. His stories were never boring. It wasn't the stories I remember so much as his light-hearted humor and the love he had shown me. He was the one who always told me I could be anything I wanted to be. I took that to heart because I know he meant it. I have always put my best foot forward because of him. If I give up after a failure, I still feel to this day that I would disappoint him. He's the reason I keep going. Every time I write a novel, I put a part of him in my characters. I think my Papa was one of the most creative people I ever knew.

"Life is meant to be lived and do the things you enjoy the most." This is one of the many pieces of advice he gave me while I was growing up. So, I took it and have applied it to my life. Granted, I used to write a little poetry and children's stories here and there as a child, but it occurred to me after he passed away that I should develop upon my writing skills. Because of him, I have become the writer/author I want to be and want to continue to pursue my dreams. I want to keep bettering my journey as a writer and myself as a person. 

It truly is amazing how much one person can impact your life and want you to make it better not only for yourself, but for the people you love. I know I want to be happy and do what I'm passionate about so that those around me can know the same kind of happiness. I want to teach others that you can be happy by following your heart and your dreams. If I can be that kind of inspiration to others then I have fulfilled part of my goals. May you all be as blessed as I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment